Champions in Athletics, Leaders for Life
UNC Asheville Athletics exists to provide our University with an exemplary NCAA Division I Athletics Program that champions the University’s Mission and Strategic Plan, which creates an environment where student-athletes can pursue their academic, athletic and lifelong goals, and that connects our internal and external constituents and communities.
UNC Asheville student athletes are positioned to lead in life and wins by:
- Demonstrating Integrity – Bulldogs do what is right;
- Being Servant Leaders – Bulldogs care about and help others achieve their dreams;
- Being Creative and Working Hard – Bulldogs succeed with less; and
- Fostering a Culture of Respect – Bulldogs honor, uphold, and promote sportsmanship, citizenship, equity, and inclusiveness.
UNC Asheville’s intercollegiate athletics has participated in NCAA Division I competition since 1986 and is a member of the Big South Conference. UNC Asheville offers 16 sports including baseball, basketball, cross country, indoor and outdoor track, soccer and tennis for men, and basketball, cross country, golf, indoor and outdoor track, soccer, swimming, tennis and volleyball for women.
UNC Asheville student-athletes consistently perform well in the classroom. In the past academic year, thirteen of our sixteen teams earned a perfect 1000 score in the national NCAA Academic Performance Rate (APR) recognition for their work in the classroom.
The 2018-19 UNC Asheville women’s basketball team made its fourth straight appearance in a postseason event with the Bulldogs hosting a game in the Women’s Basketball Invitational for the second straight season. The Bulldogs also played in their fourth straight Big South Tournament semi-final game. Over the last four years the Bulldogs have won one Big South regular-season title, two Big South Tournament titles, advanced to the NCAA Tournament twice and played in the WBI twice.
UNC Asheville men’s basketball team has a long and storied history with the Bulldogs having won seven Big South regular season titles in 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008, 2012, 2017, and 2018 and five Big South Tournament championships in 1989, 2003, 2011, 2012, and 2016. The Bulldogs have advanced to the NCAA Tournament four times in 2003, 2011, 2012, and 2016.
The 2018-19 athletic year has been historic for UNC Asheville men’s tennis, claiming the doubles national championship at the Oracle ITA National Fall Championships. The No.1 national ranking is the highest doubles ranking in Big South tennis history.
Other teams winning Big South Conference Championships and advancing to the NCAA’s include Baseball in 2006 and Women’s Soccer in 2006.
The UNC Asheville Athletics Department utilizes various on-campus and community facilities for its 16 NCAA Division I programs.
- Kimmel Arena seats 3,200 and is the home for both Men’s and Women’s Bulldog Basketball.
- The Sherrill Center, which houses the Kimmel Arena, has classrooms, labs, fitness rooms, a wellness café, and a demonstration kitchen.
- The Justice Center includes administrative offices, a 1,100-seat volleyball arena, locker rooms, sports medicine room, Olympic weight room, and an indoor swimming pool.
- The Student Recreation Center located adjacent to the Justice Center has an elevated track and multi-purpose courts.
- Outdoor athletic facilities on campus include Greenwood Fields for soccer and baseball and the Karl Straus Track.
- The Asheville Racquet Club, located minutes from campus, is the home for Men’s and Women’s Tennis and includes both indoor and outdoor courts.
- McCormick and Memorial Field located in downtown Asheville hosts several baseball and soccer competitions.
- The Cliffs at Walnut Cove serves as the home facility for the UNC Asheville women’s golf team. The Jack Nicklaus Signature Design opened in 2005 and was recognized by the PGA Tour as the only championship golf course to debut in tournament-ready condition.
Students have free admission to all home regular season athletics events. More information about UNC Asheville athletics, including home competition dates, is available on the web at www.uncabulldogs.com/