Associate Professor Oakley (Director); Professor Han; Associate Professor Cloninger; Assistant Professor Bradbury; Senior Lecturer Reiser; Lecturer Kusek
The New Media major at UNC Asheville focuses on creativity and innovation in the study of new media within a liberal arts education. We encourage students to think critically, take risks, and collaborate across disciplines. New Media students acquire a foundation in two- and three-dimensional animation, digital video art and production, and interactive media, coupled with advanced study in their chosen area of concentration. By balancing theory, criticism, and practice, students develop a nuanced understanding of new media art and creative media design principles within a liberal arts context.
We prepare our students to be new media artists, while encouraging serious play, self-discipline, lifelong learning, and community service. Upon graduating with a Bachelor of Arts Degree, students will have the theoretical background, technical experience, and creative problem-solving skills required for professional careers in creative media, design, new media art, or for graduate studies.
- Students develop a varied array of new media skills, allowing them to clearly communicate concepts and to persuasively influence society.
- Students recognize their own agency as media artists, and become confident exercising that agency to modulate and change the world.
- Students gain a broad awareness of their own goals in the context of contemporary global/networked cultures, demonstrating respect and courtesy toward the differences of others.
- Students negotiate an ongoing personal ethic of innovation and risk regarding cultural and enviromental sustainability and stewardship.
- Students begin to understand the ways in which art, media, and culture affect one another and society.
- Students develop a critical vocabulary with which to describe and analyze new media –verbally and in writing.
- Students invent a robust and sustainable foundation which will support a lifelong art practice that combines self-directed studio work, rigorous research, and theoretical inquiry.
Declaration of Major in New Media
The student must have an overall GPA of 2.5 prior to declaring a major in New Media.